Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tetro and Tokyo! (DVD)

Today has been a busy movie day for me. I saw one film in the theater and one on DVD.

I really liked Francis Ford Coppola's Tetro. In fact, I liked it better than I thought I would. The plot is very interesting and puts the pieces of the puzzle together in a unique way. Bennie (Alden Ehrenreich) works on a ship. When the ship docks in Buenos Aires he decides to look up his long lost brother formerly Angelo now Tetro (Vincent Gallo). Tetro is not too interested in seeing Bennie but Tetro's partner Miranda (Maribel Verdu) makes him feel welcome.

We gradually come to understand why Tetro is such a mess. A lot has to do with his famous father Carlos (Klaus Maria Brandauer) and also the fact that he is a failed writer.

Coppola shot most of the film in glorious black and white. Only the flashbacks are in color. The film looks terrific. I am not a big fan of Gallo but he was good as Tetro. He has just enough madness in him to pull off the role. Brandauer is very good and young Ehrenreich (who reminds me a bit of the young Leo Di Caprio) has a good future ahead of him. But best of all is Verdu who plays the put upon Miranda with great feeling. I also liked the wonderful Rodrigo De la Serna as Tetro and Miranda's friend Jose. Carmen Maura makes a cameo appearance as the very influential critic Alone - she is partly responsible for Tetro's downfall.

Coppola has created a wonderful saga about a family with plenty of problems. It is good that he has decided to make personal films as this stage in his life. I look forward to seeing what he does next.

I just finished watching Tokyo! on DVD. It was released earlier this year and contains three short films that take place in Tokyo.

The first film is directed by Michel Gondry. It is about a young couple who come to live in Tokyo. He is an aspiring filmmaker but she doesn't seem to do much of anything. As time goes on they drift apart. I liked this film but it becomes very Gondryan towards the end.

The second film is directed by Leos Carax. A mad creature who lives underground (Denis Lavant) terrorizes the people in the city. In fact, he is responsible for many deaths. When he is caught he is put on trial for murder. A lawyer from France comes to Tokyo to represent him. The lawyer is the only one who can communicate with the creature as he speaks a strange language. A very strange film but I liked it.

The last film is directed by Joon ho Bong. It is about a recluse who hasn't been out in the street in over ten years. One day his pizza is delivered by a young woman. While there the house begins to shake and he devlops feelings for her. Odd but intriguing.

As you can tell, I liked Tokyo! but I only recommend it is those of you who like very offbeat films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home