Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 25, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Cherry Blossoms

I want to say a few words about a wonderful film entitled Cherry Blossoms. Written and directed by Doris Dorrie, the film played in NYC in the winter. It got great reviews but because it played during Oscar season it did not do well at the box office. Therefore, it was pulled after only playing one week. I wanted to see it at the start of the second week but it didn't happen.

Happily, the film has just been released on DVD. I just loved it! Most of the critics gave away some big plot points. I will not do that. I will just tell you a bit about the story. Rudi (Elmar Wepper) and Trudi (Hannalore Elsner) are a couple in their 60s. They are married a long time and live in a small town in Germany. Rudi's doctors tell Trudi that he is very sick and may not have long to live. She is devastated but decides to keep the truth from her husband. She tells him that she thinks it is a good idea to visit their son and daughter. Both of them live in Berlin. They have another son who lives in Tokyo. The beginning of the film reminded me of Ozu's Tokyo Story. But then the film goes off in another direction. Things don't go as planned.

That is all I will say about the plot. The performances are splendid. There is a terrific turn by Aya Irizuki as Yu. You will see how she figures into the story if you see the film. And the film is emotional and spiritual - not to mention beautiful to look at. Cherry Blossoms hits you right in the heart. I cried after the film. I highly recommend this one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the movie, especially the scenery and expect to see it again on DVD.
However, I did not have any empathy for the husband who kept his wife from traveling and felt that his remorse came to late.
Elfriede

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home