Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Easy Virtue, O'Horen and Taken (DVD)

This past weekend I saw three films - two in the theater and one on DVD. Because of time constraints I will say just a few words about eat.

Stephan Elliott (Priscilla Queen of the Desert) directs Noel Coward's Easy Virtue. The story is of the very British John (Ben Barnes) meeting the American race car driver Larita (Jessica Biel) in France. In no time they fall in love and get married. The trouble starts when John brings home Larita to meet his family. His mother (Kristing Scott Thomas) is appalled and the bickering begins. His sisters aren't happy either. But his father (Colin Firth) is quite pleased with his son's choice. The rest of the film focuses on Larita's struggle to fit in with John's family.

The film is nicely shot and I enjoyed most of the music. Scott Thomas is wonderful as the controlling mother. And I liked Firth's portrayal as the mostly passive father. But Biel didn't feel right in the role. Her acting was forced and she seemed too modern for the part. Barnes really didn't do much at all. And the chemistry between the two young lovers was lacking. Some of the film was funny but I didn't appreciate the joke about the poor little dog Poppy. However, I am glad that I saw the film because of Scott Thomas, Firth and some witty dialog. Also quite good was Kris Marshall as the man servant Furber. I saw this on the big screen but this one could be seen as a rental.

O'Horten is a wonderful deadpan and heartfelt film directed by Brent Hamer. It takes place in Norway in what seemed like an endless winter. Odd Horten (Baard Owe) is a train conductor who, at 67, is retiring after almost 40 years of service. He lives alone with his parakeet. His is a simple life.

After his retirment Odd (I love that name!) has a series of encounters with people that change his life. None of them is earth shattering but instead they are things that we can all relate to. Hamer's direction is spot on and Owe gives an outstanding, understated performance. His face says volumes. If you can't find this film in the theaters then rent it when it comes out (Netflix is a great way to see many of these small films with limited runs).

I saw Taken on DVD. My nephew let me borrow the film. On Netflix there is a very long wait and the film made tons of money when it was released earlier this year.

It is the story of former FBI agent Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson). He quit in order to repair the relationship between him and his teenage daughter. He is uneasy when she joins a friend on a trip to Paris for the summer. And his hunch was right - she and her friend are kidnapped shortly after they arrive in the city. What follows is Mills killing and hurting many people in order to find his daughter. Neeson raises the film above what it really is. He is a fine actor and he shines even with this material. It is action packed but the action was a bit too over the top for my taste. But it is a popular film and some of you might enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home