Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 28, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Come Early Morning

Come Early Morning is a wonderful little indie from a few years ago. It was written and directed by Joey Lauren Adams and it stars a marvelous Ashley Judd as Lucy Fowler.

Lucy is a hard drinking woman who finds herself in bed with men she barely knows. She lives with her more grounded roommate Kim (Laura Prepon). Despite her drinking habit Lucy is good at her work as a contractor. She is close to various family members but can't seem to crack the wall that is between her and her father Lowell (Scott Wilson). One day Lucy meets Cal (Jeffrey Donovan) who offers her the chance to have a real relationship. But will she take it? You will have to see the film to find out.

Come Early Morning is very well made for a movie with such a low budget. I have to commend Adams for doing such a bang up job with her first film. I hope that she gets to write and direct more films. And I already mentioned how great Judd is. The supporting cast, which includes Diane Ladd and Tim Blake Nelson as well as the above mentione actors and others is top notch.

I should say that the story is set in the south - probably Arkansas. One of the things I liked best about the film is that it didn't turn out the way I thought it would. In many cases things turned out unexpectedly. I didn't always like the way things went but I liked the fact that this is not a Hollywood film but more like real life.

Rent it when you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home