Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Limits of Control

I am a big fan of Jim Jarmusch's work. His last film, Broken Flowers, was his most commercial. His new film, The Limits of Control, is anything but.

I really liked this film a lot but I can understand why others would not. For one thing, there is very little dialog. And the film moves along rather methodically which means that it will be too slow for many people. But none of this bothered me at all.

Without spoiling anything I can tell you that the film centers around Lone Man (Isaach De Bankole). At the beginning of the film he is give certain instructions and you will hear some of the things mentioned here throughout the film as well. Lone Man is a man of few words. We rely on his expressions which don't tell us very much. We find out very little about him.

During the film he meets up with various people who take him one step further to his goal. The actors who play these small parts include Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Hiam Abbass and Luis Tosar. I really don't want to say more about the plot or these people. The film is somewhat esoteric but there is also a political message here and it has to do with the way the world is now. We find out who has the control.

The movie is filmed in Spain - mainly Madrid and Seville. It is beautifully shot by Christopher Doyle. I have to give a big round of applause to Jarumusch. In this world where everyone is looking for commercial success he is still a true independent. I recommend this film to those who truly like an unusual cinematic experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home