Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Three Monkeys

It is easy to see why Nuri Bilge Ceylan won the best director award at Cannes last year. The film is outstanding and do is his directing.

I would say that the film is quite noirish. A politician named Servet (Ercan Kesal) falls asleep at the wheel and runs over someone. We never find out who it is. With an upcoming election he has to think fast and asks his driver Eyup (Yavus Bingol) to take the rap. He offers money and Eyup accepts. But this has a negative effect on Eyup's wife Hacer (Hatice Aslan) and son Ismail (Rifat Sungar). I can't go into any plot details without giving anything away. Let us just say that they both are quite restless.

Ceylan's direction and Gukhan Tiryaki's cinematography make you feel that you right there. The way they focus on the faces of the characters is amazing. All of the actors are wonderful and Aslan is just amazing. I don't think this film will go much further than a few art houses (I hope I am wrong) so if you can't catch it in theaters than make sure you see it on DVD.

Oh, and the three monkeys are not hearing, not seeing and not speaking. See the film you will understand what this means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home