Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lemon Tree (MOD)

Thank goodness for IFC on Demand. You can see movies that are only in a few theaters on television for a small charge.

Lemon Tree is the latest from director Eran Riklis (Syrian Bride). It is the true story of a Palestinian woman's plight to save her lemon orchard from being destroyed by the Israeli secret service.

Salma Zidane (Hiam Abass) is a widow who makes her living from her lemon orchard. It has been in her family for 50 years. She used to help her father when she was a little girl. Her helper Abu Hussan (Tarik Kopty) has been helping with orchard for a very long time. When Israeli Defense Minister Israel Navon moves in things change.
His Secret Service think that the lemon grove must be cut down for security reasons. Salma will not back down and hires young lawyer Ziad Daud (Ali Suliman) to take her case. In the meantime, Navon's wife Mira (Rona Lipaz-Michael) does not agree with what is being done with the lemon grove.

The film deals with an important issue - an issue that not too many films want to address. The issue is about rights. What right does a person have to come along and destroy another person's home. This is a bone of contention I have with Israel (and I say this as a Jew). I certainly understand the need for security in Israel. But sometimes things get out of hand. There has been blood shed on both sides and it must stop.

The two women in the film have an unspoken bond. And the film also deals with their own relationship matters.

Lemon Tree is a terrific film and I like the way in which Riklis tells the story. It is very compelling. All of the actors are fine and Abass is absolutely wonderful.
I think that she is one of the best actresses working today (she will be in Julian Schnabel's next film).

I wish that there would be peace in the Middle East. I wish that Israelis and Palestinians would sit down and talk to each other. I wish that they would live together without any walls or borders. As John Lennon says "some say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one." Well, at least I can imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home