Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Saint Clara

I thought that Waltzing with Bashir was the best film of 2008. So when I read that Netflix had another one of his films on DVD I immediately put it in my queue. Before I got the film in the mail I reread the description and I thought that I might have seen this film in the theater. And when I watched it I remembered it. I saw it in the late 90s at the Film Forum with a friend.

However, that doesn't matter. It was good to see the film again because it is a little gem. Folman co-wrote and co-directed the film with Ori Sivan. It takes place in a small Israeli town. The Golda Meir school has several punky youngsters looking for trouble. But along comes Clara (Lucy Dubinchik), who is newly arrived from Russia. She has a gift - she is psychic. And that is the reason that the whole class is getting a hundred on their tests.

The film is both funny and touching. Dubinchik is great and there are many zany, wonderful performances in this odd little film. A standout is Yigal Naor as the school principal. The film has a lovely ending.

This film is very different from Waltz with Bashir. But it already showed Folman's potential. I highly recommend this film to those of you who enjoy unusual foreign films. I must say that I cannot wait to see what Ari Folman will do next. And I can't wait to get my DVD copy of Waltz with Bashir. I sure hope that is has good bonus features.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home