Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 15, 2009

12

Last week I saw Katyn, which was nominated for a best foreign film Oscar last year. And yesterday I saw 12, which was also nominated for the same Oscar last year. Both films are terrific and it is a shame that they are first getting released now. But I guess that is how it is in this world of superheroes, remakes and sequels.

12 is based on the Reginald Rose classic 12 Angry Men (directed by Sidney Lumet). And while it uses that films as a bases for its story it is very different. It is very relevant the way the Russian justice system works. It is political and very much a morality tale.

The film is directed by Nikita Mikhalkov who directed the Oscar winning Burnt by the Sun in the 90s. Mikhalkov also is a cast member of the film. He plays the jury forman. In addition, he co-wrote the screenplay with Vladimir Moiseyenko and Alexander Novototsky. His direction is outstanding. He moves back and forth between the jury and the events that led up to the murder. He also lets us see the accused and understand where he is coming from.

The acting is amazing. IMDB listed the actors but not the roles they play. So I do not know who played what role. But some of the wonderful actors in the film are Sergei Makovetsky, Sergey Garmash, Aleksei Petrenko, Yuriy Stoyanov and Sergei Gazarov. I hope to eventually have a list of who played which juror.

Although 12 is somewhat based on 12 Angry Men it is not a remake. Both films stand alone and anyone who says that this is a remake has not seen the film. There is so much to ponder about in this film that I think a second viewing is in order. When 12comes out on DVD I would like to see 12 Angry Men again and then within a few days of that see my second viewing of this film.

In the meantime, if this film is playing in your city try to see it. It will only be in limited release. Otherwise make sure you put is on your DVD list. If you love intelligent cinema (as I do) you will love this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home