Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Class

I am very familiar with the work of French director Laurent Cantet. I have seen many of his previous films. So I was very excited to see his Palm D'Or winning The Class.
I must say that I was disappointed. The film is okay but nothing special.

The film is based on Francois Begaudeau's book about his experiences as a teacher in a multi-cultural school in Paris. Begaudeau plays a version of himself with the last name of Marin. He also co-wrote the screenplay. The film plays like a documentary - which is fine by me. Marin has to deal with a group of rowdy students who clearly have no respect for him. It seems that most of the students in the school are problem kids. Aren't there any students that are polite? Oh yes, there is a nice Asian boy in the class. Yes, I know that this is all too real. Many teachers have kids with discipline problems. I had a problem with believing the kids were 14 or 15. They looked older. But my main problem withe film is the way it plays out. There are a number of funny scenes but for the most part the film is repetitious. Most of the scenes play out in the classroom and the rest in the school conference room. It just needed a certain oomph that it lacked. Two other people sitting with me also thought that it was just okay.

It is hard for me to believe that this film won the Palm D'Or at Cannes. And there were so many better French films out last year I wonder why the French picked this film as their choice to go to the Oscars. Well, it got a nomination but I hope that it doesn't win.

However, based on his past work I look forward to Cantet's future work because he is a fine filmmaker. And don't get me wrong, The Class is not a bad film. But after hearing so much about it, it is a disappointing one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home