Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In is a most unusual film. It takes place in a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden in the dead of winter. It always seems to be snowing and that fits the film perfectly.

Director Tomas Alfredson has created a film that is both intrigueing and fun. It is based on a book by John Ajvide Lindquvist. Twelve year old Oskar (Kane Hedebrant) is bullied by several of the boys at his school. He lives with his mother and visits his father some weekends (they are divorced). He has no friends but has a vivid inner life. He is obsessed with murders and has a lot of anger inside of him. One day he sees new people move into his building - a father and daughter. Or so it appears to be. One evening he meets the girl - Eli (Lina Leandersson) and they eventually become very close. She helps him with his bully problem. But she is no ordinary girl - she is a vampire.

I won't say more about the plot. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film. Yes, it is a bit gory. But so what?! That is the way vampire films are supposed to be. And this one looks very good. Oh, and I should mention that the two young actors are terrific.

Some film critics groups said that this was the best foreign film of 2008. I certainly disagree with that statement. But Let the Right One In is an original take on the horror genre and I highly recommend it to those of you who might enjoy this type of film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home