Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fados

Fados is filmmaker Carlos Saura's latest film. It follows in the tradition og Flamenco and Tango. I never heard of Fados before this film so it was something of a learning experience.

Fados is a form of Portugues blues music. There are different types of songs that are sung and, in the film at least, many are accompanied by dancers. From what I've read, the performers in the film come from Portugal, Spain, Africa, Brazil and Mexico.

The music is wonderful and the film is beautiful to look at. It is a real sensual experience. However, there is absolutely no dialog in the film. I would have liked it if Saura had interviewed some of the performers. That said, I really enjoyed the film. However, someone I know (who loves foreign films and likes documentaries) walked out of the film. She didn't like the way it was presented. But for those of you who want to just want to listen to great music and see something lovely then this film is for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home