Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Escapist (MOD)

I just saw The Escapist on IFC Movies on Demand. And what a good film it is.

The film is sharply directed by Rupert Wyatt. The marvelous Brian Cox plays Frank Perry, a prison lifer. Perry receives a letter that his daughter is a drug addict who recently overdosed. She nearly died and if she has one more episode she will die. Perry decides that he must escape and see her to set things right. But he will need help in order to make his getaway.

Joining him are Lenny Drake (Joseph Fiennes), Brodie (Liam Cunningham), Viv Batista (Seu Jorge) and Lacey (Dominic Cooper). Each of these men have distintive personalities. They are all wonderful in their roles as are Damian Lewis as Rizza and Steven Mackintosh as Tony, two very vicious brothers.

In addition to all of this the film is beautifully shot and the music is great (loved it that Leonard Cohen's The Partisan played in various parts of the film). The Escapist goes back and forth in time - from the planning stages of the escape to the actual escape itself.

The film is riveting and the last act is a total surprise. It still has me thinking.
But not a word more. Do yourself a favor and see this film. If you can't go to the theater then see it on IFC on Demand (like I did). And I should say bravo to IFC Films for making these movies accessible to one and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home