Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Man from London - MOD

I am not familiar with the work of Bela Tarr. But just from seeing his The Man from London I can tell you that his work will probably not appeal to a mainstram audience.

This film is shot in glorious black and white. The takes are sometimes quite long. The first take in the film lasts about twelve minutes. The story focuses on a man (Miroslav Krobat) who sees a murder. He then discovers a suitcase filled with money.
What does he do with it? Does he go to the police? You will have to see the film to find out.

I thought that the lead actor was very good. Tilda Swinton plays his wife but she is not in the film for very long. I liked the way the film looked and the atmosphere
of it. But considering that it was a murder story there was a lack of tension. Also, I did not like the dubbing. It seemed that Swinton was dubbed and there were characters who were from England and they spoke English. But it looked like they were dubbed too. Also, the film takes place in Hungary but the people speak French.
Very strange.

The Man from London was in competition at Cannes two years ago. It never had a theatrcial release in the States and I can see why. But don't get me wrong - I thought that the film was quite interesting and I am glad that I saw it. But I can't recommend it to most people because I know that they would not like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home