Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

DVD Review

This film, directed by Phillipe Garrel, is beautiful to look at. It is shot in black and white and there are many impressive closeups. It has a feel of a European art film from the 60s or 70s. And that is all of the good things I have to say about the film.

The story takes place in the late 60s during the student riots and upheaval of the time. Francois (Louis Garrel) and his friends are planning a revolution while smoking lots of pot. They don't realize that you have to think clearly in order to plan a revolution. During all of this Francois, who writes poetry, falls in love with a woman named Lilie (Clotilde Hesme), who is a sculptress.
Some of their exchanges are interesting. But, for the most part, the film is one big bore. The film is almost plotless. I was waiting for something to happen. And when it finally happened it was at the end of the film (which is three hours long!!). The characters are not developed and the acting is almost non-existent.

The film is quite pretentious. I recently saw two European art films that I loved - Lady Chatterley and The Golden Door. So we can still find good films of this genre. A lot of critics gave this film good reviews but some of them reek of pretentiousness themselves. A word to the wise - do not see this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home