Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Mighty Heart

A Mighty Heart is based on Mariane Pearl's book of the same name. And even though we know the outcome of what happened to her husband Daniel the film is nevertheless riveting. That is not surprising since the film is directed by Michael Winterbottom who knows a thing or two about documentaries and docudramas.

Daniel (Dan Futterman) and Mariane (Angelina Jolie) are both journalists who travel to exotic and dangerous locales in order to understand the people who live in these locales. Mariane is pregnant and they are due to leave Karachi but Daniel has just one more interview to do before their departure. Sadly, we all know how that turns out.

Winterbottom is so good at making this type of film and I felt as if I were standing in the middle of the crowded streets of Karachi. I won't get into the plot because, as I said before, we know it.
But we do get some knowledge as to how the law works in Pakistan.

Jolie is wonderful and there is a good chance that she will get some Oscar consideration. Her performance in powerful and heartfelt. Also turning in a terrific performance is Irfan Khan as the Captain. We was equally wonderful in the Namesake, which I saw earlier this year, and I do hope that he gets some recognition (and roles) in this country.

I left the theater feeling very sad. How could I not? But I was not only sad for the Pearl family and their friends. I am also sad for world where hatred and fanaticism is picking up steam every day. I long for a peaceful and harmonious world but I wonder if I will ever see it during my lifetime. I hope so but I am not so sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home