Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

DVD Review - Grbavica: The Land of My Dreams

Jasmila Zbanic wrote and directed this powerful little film that won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival in 2006.

The story takes place in the Grbavica section of Sarajevo in Bosnia. It is after the war and there are still many people who are missing - who will never be found. Seamstress Esma (Mirjana Karanovic) tries to support herself and her daughter Sara (Luna Mijovic) but it is hard to make ends meet. In order for Sara to go on a costly school trip Esma takes on an extra job as a waitress in a club/bar. But that doesn't turn out the way she wanted it to. I was wondering why she was going to all of the trouble when all she had to do was provide a certificate stating that Sara's father was a war hero and then the trip would be free.

Zbanic made a film that feels very real and her cast (especially the two leads) feel like real human beings. Grbavica gives us a clue as to what it was like trying to pick up the pieces after that terrible war. It also is an excellent look at the tensions that are part of many mother/daughter relationships.

Grbavica: The Land of My Dreams didn't get a very big release over here. But I think that it is a very worth while film to see and I highly recommend that you rent it. And you will also (hopefully) enjoy the wonderful music that is interspersed throughout the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home