Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Short DVD Review - Soldier of Orange

After I saw Paul Verhoeven's Black Book earlier this year I was told that it would be a good idea to see an earlier film of his Solider of Orange. Soldier, like Black Book, deals with World War II and the Dutch Resistance, which was released here back in 1979 (I think that it was made in 1977).

The film is based on a true story from a book by Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema. Rutger Hauer plays Erik Lanshof. Erik has just graduated college. Holland is starting to be occupied by the Nazis. Erik and most of his friends decide to join the Resistance. One of these friends is Giuus Le Juene (Jeroen Krabbe). Another one of his friends, Alex (Derek de Lint), joins the Nazis.

Most of the story follows Erik as he goes to London and then back to Holland. We also find out that there is a traitor amongst the ranks. I will not say more about the plot. You will have to see the film to find out what happens. Soldier of Orange is a very powerful film and it is also quite suspenseful. I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home