Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Golden Door

The Golden Door, written and directed by Emanuele Crialese, is a beautifully made film about Italian immigrants coming to America in the early 20th century.

Salvatore Mancuso (Vincenzo Amato) is a poor widower who wants to start a new life in America. His twin brother has already left Italy. He takes his two sons and his elderly mother (who is quite reluctant to leave) with him. Before boarding the ship he meets an Englishwoman named Lucy Reed (Charlotte Gainsbourg) who also wants to go to America. Lucy is looking for a man to marry her because that is the only way she will be able to stay in the US.

The film shows just how rough the ships crossing was. I can only imagine the physical hardship these people endured in order to come here. I do think that there expectations were too high but they had to find that out for themselves. Once they arrived at Ellis Island things weren't any better. They not only had to go through rigorous physical exams. They also had to take tests to prove that their intelligence level was high enough for them to live here!! It made me think about what my grandparents went through when they arrived.

The cinematography, by Agnes Godard, is breathtaking. The opening sequences are magnificent. There is a scene in which Salvatore and Lucy pass by each other on the boat that is just wonderful. Another scene that I love takes place at Ellis Island. A group of Jews start praying and so the Italians join in with their own prayers.

The film says that it is presented by Martin Scorsese. I understand that he really liked the film and attached his name to it in the hopes that it would attract people to see it. After all, it is a foreign language film with no big stars in it (Ms. Gainsbourg is the only actor in the film that I am familiar with). The Golden Door is a very good film and I do hope that it gains an audience over here. If you can't see it in the theater then by all means see it when it is released on DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home