Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, June 21, 2007

DVD Review - The Fountain

What can I say about Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain? I liked Pi and Requiem for a Dream. But this film doesn't make the cut. In fact, I found it quite pretentious.

The story (if you want to call it that) revolves around three different men (or are they the same man?) traveling through different time zones. He (they) is trying to find out the secret of eternal life. But there isn't one because life on earth is not eternal. The man (men) is played by Hugh Jackman who gives a good performance. The woman (women) that he loves is played by Rachel Wiesz. In the present time, which is the bulk of the film, she is dying and he is trying find cure for her. In the past he is fighting against the Inquisition and she is a Queen. In the future he is an astronaut and she is....well, I'm not sure. Perhaps a ghost or a spirit. And as an animal lover and vegetarian I was appalled by the animal experimentation in the film.

Ellen Burstyn is in the film but she doesn't have much to do. The film is beautiful to look at but that is not enough. I read some raves on imdb and I assume that these people also liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - which is another film that I didn't like. Comparing this film to 2001 is ridiculous. 2001 is a masterpiece. The Fountain is anything but.

If you like this type of film then The Fountain might be for you. I would have loved to see a good time travel love story but that is not what I got. For me it was a muddle that lacked any character development. I hope that in the future we get something better from the talented Aronofsky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home