Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lady Chatterley

Pascale Ferran's adaptation of Lady Chatterley is a feast for the senses. This version of the film is based on the second draft of D.H. Lawrence's book (also titled John Thomas and Lady Jane) and not the third one Lady Chatterley's Lover (which is the one that most people have read). I don't know the availability of John Thomas and Lady Jane but after seeing this film I want to read it.

Lady Constance Chatterley (Marina Hands) is married to Sir Clifford (Hippolyte Girardot). She has all the money she could ever want but it is apparent that she is not happy. Clifford was wounded in the war and can't walk. He also cannot have sex with his wife. One day she visits their gamekeeper Parkin (Jean-Louis Coulloc'h) to tell him about certain fowl that is needed for the next day's dinner. She is very impressed with the beauty and peacefulness of his surroundings and she asks him if she could visit from time to time. After a while they get to know each other and one thing leads to another. Connie is introduced to feelings and sensations that she never knew existed.

Ferran has done an amazing job of directing the film. She and her co-writer Roger Bohbot have produced an intelligent screenplay. Hands and Coulloc'h are marvelous and have fantastic chemistry together. I hope that in the future we get to see them in more films (Hands is in the upcoming The Diving Bell and the Butterfly). Girardot is also good in his supporting role. Julien Hirsch's cinematography is gorgeous. The scenery is breathtaking - as I watched the film I imagined myself running through the forest. The sex scenes are sensual and well done. I am still thinking about one amazing scene but I won't say what it is. You must see the film to find out.

The film has one flaw. Since the original story took place in England Ferran decided to have the characters stay English - even though the film is entirely in French. I wonder if it would have been better if she would have made the characters French. But all in all it doesn't matter. This is a story of love and passion and truly a film for adults. I highly recommend this film to all consenting adults.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home