Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 29, 2007

DVD Review - Maxed Out

Maxed Out is James Scurlock's documentary about how people get trapped into credit card debt and taking out loans that they can't pay back.

The film follows several people who have gotten into this den of quicksand. We also meet some hardened sales people who will do anything to lure the vulnerable into their lair. It seems that the credit card companies and banks like to go after those who are the least likely to be able to pay. They make a lot of their money in the high interest rates and penalties. The credit card companies love to send applications to college students.

We see some people filing for bankruptcy and the toll that it takes on them. And although the film has some dark humor there are a number of sad moments. Some of those with huge debts take the most desperate measure.

I found the film quite informative and I particularly liked listening to Dr. Elizabeth Warren. She is very well versed on how that American Dream has become a nightmare for many people.

I urge people to see this film because it will open your eyes as to what is going on in this country regarding spending. Many people feel that they are entitled to have the newest and best gadgets (I phones anyone?). But they don't think about the consequences of out of control spending. Perhaps Maxed Up can sober them up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home