Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Brother is an Only Child

Director Daniele Luchetti has created a wonderful look at small town Italy in the early 60s. The script, written by Sandro Petraglia and Stefano Rolli (The Best of Youth), gives a light touch to a rather heavy subject.

Young Accio (Vittorio Emanuele Propizio) feels like an outsider in his family. He thinks that his parents and sister Violette favor his older brother Manrico (Ricardo Scamarcio). So he looks for comfort elsewhere (by the way, Accio is a nickname and means bully). He befriends a bus driver and becomes involved in the Fascist movement. Now, this story takes place in the 60s and Mussolini is still fresh in the minds of most people. Needless to say, his family is upset - especially the Communist Manrico. As a teenager Accio (now played by Elio Germano) becomes more involved in the movement - as well as other things.

I won't say more about the plot because I don't want to give away anything. One or two plot points were predictable but that doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the film. Germano is wonderful as Accio and Scamarcio is also terrific as Manrico (he is also quite a winner in the looks department as well!!). I loved watching the scenes when people were arguing. They did it with so much passion.

My Brother is an Only Child does not have any answers in regard to the various political movements. But it does make us think and ponder. And the last scenes of the film were just right - they made me feel that justice was finally served. If you love foreign films and feel a bit sad that we don't see too many from Italy these days then do yourself a favor and see this one before it leaves the theaters (or rent it if you can't get to one). You won't be sorry that you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home