Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Girl of Your Dreams

Fernando Trueba's The Girl of Your Dreams was made about ten years ago. But it never had a proper release in the US. But you can see this terrific film on DVD.

A troupe of Spanish actors leave Spain beause Franco will not allow film production to flourish. So where do they wind up - Nazi Germany. The film they are making is a co-production with Germany. At first things were great but they soon find out what is really going on and they are appalled by it.

The film is at times humourous, which works even though the subject a dark one. Penelope Cruz is great at the leading lady Marcarena. I also liked Antonio Resinos as the producer Blas. And playing the leading man is the marvelous Jorge Sanz (I wish we had more info about him over here). A real treat was seeing Hanna Schygulla as Frau Gobbels.

The film shows just how close the Spanish and the Germans were. They spouted the same propaganda in different suits. I highly recommend this film for those of you who like to think about (and talk about) what they see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home