Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Counterfeiters

Just when you thought that you heard all of the Holocaust stories Stefan Ruzowitzy comes along with his Oscar winning film The Counterfeiters (and, yes, it deserved to win).

The Counterfeiters is a true story of the biggest counterfeiting ring in the world.
Master counterfeiter Salomon Sorowitsch (Karl Markovics) is arrested in Berlin in 1936. Because he is a Jew he is sent to a concentration camp. But after several years the arresting officer comes to the rescue. He has Sorowitsch transeferred to a special unit where the men have bunks with linen to sleep on. All of the men in this unit have a special skill. And one day they are commanded to make up conterfeit pounds and dollars. Yes, they go along with this to survive (although one of them is willing to give up his life for his principles). And Sorowitsch, who on the outside seems only interested in survival, has his own ways. We get to know these men and care about them.

This is an amazing story and makes us ask ourselves "how far would we go to survive?"
Markovics is excellent as the lead and all of the other actors are terrific as well.
And Ruzowitzy is wonderful director and I remember just how much I liked his previous film The Inheritors (which was also nominated for an Oscar). I highly recommend this touching film to everyone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home