Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

DVD Mini Review - The Cranes Are Flying

I rented this film because several people in an Awards Daily forum raved about it. And am I glad that I did. It is one fabulous film!!

Mikhail Kalatzov directed this masterpiece with a screenplay written by Viktor Rozov
(from his play). The story takes place at the beginning of World War II. Boris (Aleksey Batalov) and Veronica (Tatyana Samojlova) are very much in love. It seems like they might even get married. But war has broken out and Boris must go off to fight. Veronica is heartbroken. The story is about what happens to both of them during a certain time frame. I will not say more about the plot. But I will say that things are very difficult for both of them.

This film was way ahead of its time. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and all of it is done without any computer generated special effects (after all, the film was made in 1957). Batalov and the rest of the cast give wonderful performances. But Samojlova is the real standout here. Her face conveys what she is feeling - she cannot hide her emotions.

The Cranes Are Flying is as sad as it is beautiful. It most certainly deserved the Palm D'or that it won at Cannes. The message in a nutshell - war is hell and will always bring tragedy. Do yourself a favor and rent this film. It is a must see for anyone who loves cinema.

Note: I loved Burnt By the Sun - another great Russian film. It won an Oscar in
1994. I would like to see that one again. And at some point I must see Alexandra. Russia has made some great films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home