Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, April 18, 2008

The Flight of the Red Balloon

I saw Hsiao-hsien Hou's The Flight of the Red Balloon on movies on demand. And although I am sure it looks wonderful on the big screen it was still lovely to watch on my television (it just started at a neighborhood theater but there isn't time to see every film in the theater this weekend). I have not loved Mr. Hou's films like some of the critics have. But I quite liked this film and think it is his best one to date. It is also, in its own way, a tribute to Albert Lamorisse's 1956 classic The Red Balloon.

Juliette Binoche stars as Suzanne, a busy, frazzled single mother. Suzanne works with puppeteers and has other projects. Her seven year old son Simon (Simon Iteanu) is just darling. But he needs looking after so Suzanne hires a film student named Song (Fang Song) to be his nanny. While walking the beautiful streets of Paris Simon and Song are "followed" by a red balloon. Both of them are eager to capture it in one way or another. All of the acting is good and Binoche is terrific. And the film is beautifully shot.

We don't find out too much about the characters but that doesn't matter. We know that Suzanne's husband has left her and that she has a daughter who lives in Brussels. Suzanne is also in a legal battle with a tenant whom she wants to leave.
Song has a calming effect on her. And that is the point of the film - a zen-like calming. The film does not have a strong narrative thread. But I liked it. I have a lot on my mind these days and the film made me forget about these things during its two hours. I felt totally relaxed. This film is for a specialized audience. A friend of mine who loves cinema couldn't stand this film. But I am the type of person who loves to sometimes do nothing. In fact, people should do more of that because the crazy frenetic pace of this modern world. I do not recommend The Flight of the Red Balloon to all. But for those of you who like a leisurely paced slice of life film that will leave you feeling mellow this film is a must.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home