Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, January 05, 2008

I Am Legend

I Am Legend is adapted from Richard Matheson's book and directed by Francis Lawrence.
The screenplay is written by Mark Protosevich and Akiva Goldsman.

Dr. Robert Neville (Will Smith) is the only healthy human left in NYC. He somehow manages to survive with his faithful dog Sam(antha) (Abby/Kona - I am not sure which dog played here as an adult and which one as a puppy). Neville doesn't haven anyone to talk to except Sam and some random mannequins. He also broadcasts a message on the radio saying that he is a survivor. Day after day he waits in hope for someone to arrive. You see, a cancer vaccine went wrong and most humans are either dead or walking around rabid. The rabid humans are Neville's problem. He also works in his lab hoping to find a cure for this horrible disease.

The film is extremely well made and had be on the edge of my seat. Yes, it is a Hollywood studio film but it doesn't pull any punches. Smith is really good - this is the best I've ever seen him. And I just loved the actress who played Samantha. Alicia Braga comes along towards the end of the film and Emma Thompson has an uncredited cameo. I won't say more about the plot - you should see the film for yourself.

Could something like this really happen? Well, maybe not in such an extreme way. But I do think that many of the vaccines and medications that are being shoved down people's throats (and into their arms) are very dangerous and could result (one day) in a plague that devastates the human immune system. So we must watch what science and technology are creating and surly try to differentiate the good from the bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home