Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

This new film version of Sweeney Todd is based on Stephen Sondheim's hit Broadway musical of the same name. It was directed by the offbeat Tim Burton and the script is by John Logan. I didn't know if Burton would be able to pull it off but I must say that he most certainly did. I found this gothic, bloody tale a lot of fun to watch.

Barber Benjamin Barker (Johnny Depp) is taken off to jail for no rhyme or reason. He left behind his wife and baby daughter. The man behind the jailing is Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman). He has a thing for Sweeney's wife.

Fifteen years later Barker is out of jail and seeking revenge for the one has done him wrong. He changes his name to Sweeney Todd. When he goes back to where he used to live he finds a Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) in the space. She has a meat pie business (a very dirty one at that). She tells Sweeney that his wife took poison and that his daughter now lives with the judge as his adopted daughter. Sweeney is bent on killing the judge and his assistant Beadle Bamford (Timothy Spall). Along the way Todd meets another barber - Signor Adolfo Pirelli (Sacha Baron Cohen) and his boy assistant Toby (Ed Sanders).

There is no need to go on with the plot because it would spoil things if you haven't seen the show (like me). And if you have seen it then you don't need to know more.
Depp is very good as Sweeney. And I liked Bonham Carter as well. Rickman, Spall and Baron Cohen are also good. And littler Sanders is a wonder. The music is not really my style but I enjoyed it while I was watching the film. It works. And Depp has a nice voice. Yes, the movie is very bloody but it didn't bother me. I found it to be a lot of good, dark fun.

I was surprised to see that the theater was not very full. Depp can usually find an audience. Perhaps people don't want to see dark musicals. But I do recommend the film for those of you who want to see Depp and Bonham Carter branch out into a different type of film and for those of you who are not afraid of a little blood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home