Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

DVD Mini Review - Man Push Cart

Ramin Bahrani's Man Push Cart is a wonderful little film. And I say little because it was obviously shot on a tight budget.

The story takes place in New York City. In fact, the city is one of the main characters. And as life long New Yorker I can tell you that Bahrani captured New York to a tee. The protagonist of the film is Ahmad (Ahmad Razul). Ahmad is struggling to pay off his cart. He sells bagels, doughnuts, tea and coffee to busy New Yorkers. His is a life of solitude. He came to the US from Pakistan with his wife and child. His wife died and his child lives with his wife's parents. Back in Pakistan he was a famous singer but in the US he struggles to make ends meet.

Ahmad strikes up a friendship with one of his customers Mohammed (Charles Daniel Sandoval) who is well off and recognizes him from Pakistan. Ahmad also becomes friends with Noemi (Leticia Dolera) a Spanish woman who works at a new stand. All of the acting is good and Razul is fantastic. I believe that the film received several Spirit nominations this past year.

Man Push Cart is a real slice of life film. Things that happen in the movie can surely happen in real life. I don't want to say how things turn out for Ahmad. Why should I ruin things for you? But I certainly urge you to rent Man Push Cart.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

His new film, Chop Shop, is being released in theaters starting in NYC in February at the Film Forum. It has already been at the Cannes and Toronto Film Festival (where I saw it), and just got into Berlin Festival -

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home