Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Conversaciones con Mama

Conversaciones con Mama (Conversations with Mother) is a little gem of a film. It is from Argentina and is lovingly written and directed by Santiago Carlos Oves.

It is a seemingly deceptive story. Jaime (Eduardo Blanco), who is middle aged, has been laid off from his well paying job. Times are tough. He is prodded by his wife Dorita (Silvina Bosco) to tell his 82 year old mother (China Zorilla) that they must sell the apartment she is living in. After all, times are tough and the apartment belongs to Jaime and Dorita. But where will his mother go? When he tries to tell his mother she always brings up something else. Buy much of what she says are words of wisdom. Jaime is very surprised to find out about his mother's new friend Gregorio (who is all of 69). Also in the mix are Jaime's son and daughter who have no interest in becoming what their parents want them to become. I didn't see the significance of this until later on in the film.

I won't tell you more but I will say that the dialog between mother and son is marvelous. These conversations make Jaime evaluate which things in his life are important and which are not. All of the acting is good and Zorilla is absolutely outstanding. She is now 85 and she is still acting (I looked her up on imdb). Conversaciones con Mama reminded me of some conversations that I had with my mother who I miss very much (not the content so much as the tone). After seeing this film all I can say is mother knows best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home