Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 24, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War

Mike Nichols' Charlie Wilson's War is a most entertaining history lesson. The screenplay is written by Aaron Sorkin from a book by Georg Crile.

The story starts off in 1980. Wilson (Tom Hanks) is a Democratic congressman from Texas. He is hard drinking and a hard party man. He has a group of young, beautiful women working for him. He winds up getting an illegal drug charge launched against him but it doesn't stick. But his attention is suddenly pointed in the direction of more serious things. Russia has launched an all out war on Afghanistan and many people are being killed or maimed. Add into the fact that Charlie is seduced by a rich, right wing, anti-Communist Texas woman named Joanne Herring (Julia Roberts)into being more pro-active in this cause. Charlie is joined in his mission by a rough CIA man named Gust Avrankotos (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a man who has problems of his own.

Charlie visits Afghanistan several times and sees the plight of the people. He eventually persuades another congressman (Ned Beatty) to push through his bill and the Afghani people now have the weapons to defeat the Russians.

This is a good, solid film. Hanks is his usually reliable self. And Hoffman is terrific. Roberts is okay but sometimes her southern accent is a bit much. Beatty is good. And I loved seeing the great Pakistani actor Om Puri in a small role as President Zia. I also liked Scottish actor Ken Stott as Israeli Mossad man Zvi. Amy Adams plays Wilson's assistant Bonnie Bach in the same wide eyed way that she used in Junebug. And, sadly, Emily Blunt is wasted in a small role as one of Charlie's conquests.

Like I said before, Charlie Wilson's War is a good film. But I have a feeling that the portrait of Charlie is a bit nicer than what it ought to be. I recently read that he attended the premiere of the film and he claimed that the filmmakers were "too nice." So while I enjoyed the film I am sure that I would have preferred something with more of an edge. Still and all, the film is worthwhile and I do recommend it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you like the ending (without giving it away)?
And considering Afghanistan now, it is a shame.
Yes, I liked the film a lot too.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home