Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 28, 2007

DVD Mini Review - La Dolce Vita

I always wanted to see Federico Fellini's masterpiece La Dolce Vita and I finally did on DVD. The translation is The Sweet Life but there certainly an undercurrent of emptiness that pervades the film.

Marcello (Marcello Mastroianni) is a journalist. He would like to write more serious pieces but he finds himself drawn to people who are empty. And he can't stop finding women to lust after. His long suffering girlfriend Emma (Yvonne Funeaux)longs for him to settle down. But why should he when he has Maddalena (Anouk Aimee) to bed. He is also very attracted to the actress Sylvia (Anita Ekberg).

Throughout the film Marcello goes from one event to the next. They don't seem connected but after you see each one you realize that they all have something in common - that emptiness that I mentioned before.

La Dolce Vita is a must for any real film buff. All of the acting is terrific and Marcello M. is a standout. And he is handsome to boot!! The film is shot in beautiful black and white. Fellini shows us his vision of despair in a somewhat circus-like style. And the score by Nino Rota is a knockout.

The DVD that I got had easy to read subtitles in yellow. I would love to write more about the film but I am behind because my cable internet was down for a day. But I highly recommend that you see this film ( if you haven't already) so you can see what a true master can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home