Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, September 03, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Homeboy

Homeboy is a terrific and sad little film that came out in 1988. That was 20 years before The Wrestler was released. The thing both films have in common is that Mickey Rourke gives a fabulous performance in both of them.

Johnny Walker (Rourke) is a down and out fighter. He fights for the money but he doesn't seem to have his heart in it. He is approached by a hustler named Wesley (Christopher Walken). Wesley wants Johnny to help him with a robbery. But Johnny doesn't feel comfortable with that. In the meantime, Johnny meets Ruby (Debra Feuer) a woman who runs a beaten down amusement park. He really takes a fancy to her but things are not so simple for Johnny.

I really liked this film and I felt that it was, in a way, a precursor to The Wrestler. No one can say that Rourke was not always a great actor. He always was. He will break you heart in this film. Walken in wonderful as the odd Wesley. And I thought that Feuer was also great. She and Rourke had great chemistry together. And no wonder - they were married at the time. The ending is ambiguous. I would like to discuss it with people who have seen the film. And there is a fantastic original musical score composed by Eric Clapton. Oh, I almost forgot that there is a cameo by Ruben Blades, a singer/actor that I love! Oh, I forgot something very important. The film credits Eddie Cook for writing the screenplay but the script was actually written by Rourke himself.

All I can say is rent this film. I will end with a quote from Bob Dylan in his Chronicles book. He went to see the film and this is what he had to say about Rourke- "He could break your heart with a look. The movie traveled to the moon every time he came onto the screen. Nobody could hold a candle to him. He was just there, didn't have to say hello or goodbye." And that is very true.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i will definetly watch this movie. Thanks

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home