Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Julia (DVD) and The Cove

I am going to say a (very) few words on two movies I just saw. I wish I had more time to spend on the reviews but I just don't.

Julia came out in theaters earlier this year. It had a very limited release and didn't play in theaters very long. I wanted to see it in a theater but couldn't make it. I have to say that it plays well on the small screen.

Julia (Tilda Swinton) is an alcoholic woman who has no direction in life. She can't hold down a job. She goes from bar to bar and from man to man. Mitch (Saul Rubinek) is her friend and he tries to help her but it seems like a lost cause. One day while attending an AA meeting she meets a woman named Elena (Kate del Castillo) who wants her to help kidnap Elena's son Tom (Aidan Gould). At first Julia refuses but the offer of money is just too tempting and Julia gives in.

What follows is quite suspenseful and you never know how things are going to turn out. The story keeps you guessing until the end. The film is directed by Erick Zoncka (The Dreamlife of Angels). He does a good job of directing but once in a while the pacing lags. I think that the film could be a bit shorter and the editing tightened up. But it is very worth while seeing because of Swinton's amazing performance. She is in almost every scene and her appearance changes depending upon her mood. It is a very nuanced performance. Despite the fact that she is a very unlikable character I couldn't take my eyes off of her. The supporting cast (especially young Gould) is also very good. Check it out on DVD.

I saw Louie Psihoyos The Cove in the theater. I was hoping the film would get a wider release but it isn't. I guess a lot of people have problems seeing a film about dolphin slaughter in Japan. It is hard to take but the beautifully made film is important and I do hope that more people see it.

Richard (Ric) O'Barry is the main person in the film. He is responsible for the hit television program Flipper. He feels very responsible for what has happened to dolphins since the show is on. Seaworld and its ilk are very bad for dolphins and promote dolphin slaughter. Dolphins are not meant to be in captivity. They are meant to be free. Among others interviewed are Paul Watson and Roger Payne.

O'Barry, Psihoyos and others go to Japan to expose a cove where 23,000 dolphins a year are slaughtered. They risk their lives to do this. And, yet, when they interview the average Japanese person he/she knows nothing about this.

They sell the meat and tell people that it is whale meat. The truth of the matter is that the dolphin meat is very high in mercury and very dangerous to humans. I didn't know this. So besides performing acts of animals cruelty these people are endangering the health and lives of their fellow citizens.

I urge you see this film. And be prepared to cry - I did. If you can't make it the theater then rent it when it comes out on DVD. AND PLEASE DO NOT PATRONIZE SEA WORLD OR OTHER THEME PARKS OF THAT TYPE. AND PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY VACATIONS WHERE YOU SWIM WITH THE DOLPHINS. The dolphins and I will thank you for that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cove is a documentary movie directed by Louie Psihoyos, is about a group of activists who expose something that is a shocking instance of animal abuse and can also pose a serious threat to human health. I really like this movie....I had watched this movie from this website...you can also watch the cove movie here....

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home