Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ballad of a Soldier

Ballad of a Soldier, directed by Grigori Chukhrai, is a true film classic. I truly love this film.

The story is a very simple one. Alyosha (Vladimir Ivaahov) is a 19 year old soldier fighting the Germans in 1943. He singlehandedly kills a number of Germans and is considered a war hero. He is offered a medal for his bravery but instead wants to visit his mother and repair the roof. But along the way his train connections don't always work out and he meets Shura (Zhanna Prokhorenko) and they fall in love. That is it. But it is so much more than that. This film really tugged at my heartstrings. By the end of the film I had tears in my eyes. A day after I saw it I am still thinking about it.

The film is beautifully shot. It is no wonder why it is used in many film classes. And the subtitles on the black and white background are perfectly clear.

The film was nominated for an Oscar and won a few awards. I don't want to say more about the film. It is better to see it. And see it you must because I said so!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home