Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 18, 2009

The Informant!

I admire Steven Soderbergh for taking risks and making different kinds of film. However, I usually find his films to be lacking something. And this is the case with his latest film The Informant!

The Informant! is based on a book by Kurt Eichenwald about whistle blower Mark Whitacre (played in the film by Matt Damon). Whitacre was a big shot at Archer Daniels Midland in the 90s and works with the FBI to bring the firm down due to illegal activities. I enjoyed the beginning of the film but the then things got a bit too convoluted for me. Whitacre talks out of both sides of his mouth and you eventually find out that he has some problems (I won't say what). The truth is, I was a bit tired when I went to see the film but I understood where it was trying to go and it didn't always work.

The Informant! tries to tell a serious story in a comedic way. That is great if you can pull it off but ultimately can't. I read a few reviews that compare it to Michael Mann's The Insider. That is absurd. The Insider is a great film. The Informant! is a somewhat entertaining one. It is by no means a bad film. Just not as great as some critics say it is.

I must give high praise to Damon. He was great in the role and certainly lifts the film up. I also enjoyed Melanie Lynsy as Whitacre's wife Ginger and Scott Bakula as FBI Agent Brian Shepard who becomes Whitacre's friend. After seeing the film I realized that this is the type of film that I should have seen on DVD. And that is my recommendation to you - see it but wait for the DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home