Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon is definitely one of the best films of 2008. Why it didn't go on wider release like it was supposed to really amazes me. It is such an intelligent, well acted film. But that might be the problem. Perhaps it is too intelligent for the average person.

The film is directed by Ron Howard. I have liked some of Howard's work but I have also felt that he sometimes whitewashed his films (A Beautiful Mind comes to mind - it is good but pales in comparison with the darker Spider). He doesn't do that in this film. Frost/Nixon is Howard's best film to date.

The story takes place in the 1970s after Richard Nixon (Frank Langella) resigned from office. Talk show host David Frost (Michael Sheen) decides that it would be a great idea for him to interview the disgraced Nixon. But it isn't easy for him to get financial backing for his idea because his interviews are of a lighter nature.

Part of the film is spent on the preparation of the interviews. Frost gets help from his associate John Birt (Matthew Macfayden), James Reston, Jr. (Sam Rockwell), and Bob Zelnick (Oliver Platt). All of this is fascinating. We also have these people telling of their experience during that time. Also included in the set of people talking about their experience are Frost's love interest at the time Caroline Cushing (Rebecca Hall) and Nixon aide and confidante Jack Brennan (Kevin Bacon).

Although we know what happens the film is very suspenseful. I was on the edge of my seat as I watched the these two men go back and forth.

The film is adapted from a stage play by Peter Morgan. Morgan wrote the screenplay and this is one of the many reasons the film works so well. Both Langella and Sheen are outstanding. Langella is getting a lot of Oscar buzz. But where is the buzz for Sheen? He is equally as good. All of the above mentioned supporting players are terrific as is Toby Jones as Swifty Lazar.

I urge people to see this film. I don't think it is doing as well as it should be. Hopefully, when it gets its Oscar nominations (as I am sure that it will) more people will be inclined to see it. It is also nice to know that Ron Howard can make such a great film and look forward to him making some more challenging films in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home