Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Secret of the Grain (MOD)

Well, I just saw another good and interesting film. This one, The Secret of the Grain, I saw on IFC's Movies on Demand. It is playing in my city but I usually see most of IFC's films on television because there are just so many movies I can see in the theater.

This film has won many awards and it is easy to see why. Director Abdel Kechiche has done a marvelous job of bringing to life a family who live in the small port city of Sete in France. They are originally from Tunisia but consider themselves French.

Slimane (Habib Boufares) is a man of about sixty. He has been working for a long time and he is tired. When he is laid off he decides to open a restaurant on a boat.
But this is not so easy because he has very little money. He has four children who all have their problems. But they are a very close family. He is divorced from their mother and now has a younger lover. He is like a father to her daughter Rym (Hafia Herzi).

There is a terrific scene where the four children, their spouses and their children gather at their mother's house for a Sunday family meal. There is much bickering, laughter and love. And it feels very real because that is how families are. Slimane decides to have an opening party to show people how great his restaurant will be. His ex-wife has a wonderful specialty - fish couscous - and she is even willing to make a batch for him to use on opening night.

I must say that I guessed one thing that would happen. But that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the film. Things like this happen in real life. The acting of this ensemble is spot on. Boufares was very good as the defeated looking Slimane. And Herzi was outstanding. She should have a great future in cinema. As should Kechiche, who is a new voice in world cinema.

The ending was a bit of a surprise to me but it actually makes sense. I am still thinking about it and I would love to talk about it to people who have seen the film. It is something to discuss. The Secret of the Grain (which is couscous) is not for everyone. It is two and a half hours long and takes its time telling the tale. But for those of you who love this type of world cinema I highly recommend it to you.

FYI - The great Claude Berri is one of the producers of this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home