Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Curioius Case of Benjamin Button

I went into The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which will be referred to as BB for the rest of this review) with mixed feelings. I wanted to love this film but I just didn't know if I would. Well, you could say that about any film I suppose. But I can't say that I am a big fan of the film's director David Fincher. I liked his film Seven but loathed Fight Club. And his much praised Zodiac was okay but nothing special. I am happy to report that I think that BB is a wonderful film.

Fincher and screenwriter Eric Roth have created something special and magical. Benjamin's mother dies in childbirth. He is such a hideous child that his father Thomas (Jason Flemyng) leaves him on the doorstep of a home for older people. He is adopted by Queenie (Tarji P. Henson), a woman who is in charge of the home. Although Benjamin seems like a freak, Queenie knows that he is special. Benjamin is born old and as he gets older in years his body gets younger. By now Benjamin is played by Brad Pitt who does a very good job of playing him at his various ages.

Throughout his life Benjamin meets many people. Most significant is Daisy - she is just a little girl when they meet but you can say that it is love at first sight.
Other important people during his life are Elizabeth Abbott (Tilda Swinton) and Captain Mike (Jared Harris).

I won't get into more of the plot. You can see the film for yourself. The film starts off with the older Daisy (played as an adult at her various ages by the fabulous Cate Blanchett) and her daughter Caroling (Julia Ormond).

Some people have compared this film to Forrest Gump. Roth wrote both screenplays and I could see some similarities. But the stories are different. BB deals with life, death, loneliness, love and all of the other things that we human beings deal with. For me, the film was an emotional experience and I cried during parts of it.
I am sure that there are others who will not like this film. But for those of you who want to see something a bit different and very special then this is a film for you.

Of note: The film is based on a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Be sure you pay attention at the beginning of the film where a new clock is being installed. It is significant. Also, I do believe that there is an anti-war message in the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home