Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Doubt and The Reader

Yesterday I saw two films that were both good and quite interesting.

First up was Doubt, the screen version of John Patrick Shanley's awards winning play.
Shanley both wrote and directed the film. Since I did not see the play I have nothing to compare the film with. I will say that it is an actor's film. Meryl Streep plays the wicked Sr. Aloysius. It seems that nothing can please this woman. Amy Adams plays the wide eyed, innocent Sr. James. And Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Fr. Flynn. The story takes place in the Bronx in the mid 1960s. As someone who lived in the Bronx at that time I can tell you the film looked very real.

From the beginning you know that Sr. Aloysius does not like Fr. Flynn. He wants to modernize the Church and make it more open. The school has admitted its first black student Donald Miller (Joseph Foster). Donald feels isolated and the good Father takes him under his wing. When Sr. James sees Donald leave Fr. Flynn's office she is suspicious that something nasty might be going on. And she lets Sr. Aloysius know about this.

From then on we have to think about the story's basic premise - if you have you suspicions but no proof how can you prove that you are right? And if there is any doubt can your suspicions be thrown out of the window?

All of the actors are good. Streep is terrific and Adams fits her part to a tee. Hoffman is great but I still would have picked another actor for this role. Perhaps F. Brendan O'Byrne who was the priest on Broadway. Cillian Murphy would fit the bill. And if Stephen Rea were younger he would be perfect. Davis has only once scene but it is a powerful one. At times the film seems a bit theatrical (afterall it was a play). But it is basically a solid film. And I must say that I have my own conclusions about what the truth is. You might too - or perhaps you will have your doubts.

The Reader is based on wonderful book by Bernard Schlink. The beginning of the story starts off in Germany in the 1950s. Young Michael Berg (David Kross) becomes sick in the middle of the street. A woman comes to his rescue and cleans him up. Michael is quite sick and has to stay in bed for three months. But he never forgets the woman who helped him. When he is better he brings her some flowers as a way to thank her. She is about twice his age (he is fifteen) and her name is Hanna (Kate Winslet). The two are very attracted to each other and begin an affair that lasts through the summer. We find out that Hanna works as a ticket seller on the bus. At this point in the film that is all we find out about her because she suddenly disappears.

Michael is quite upset but there is not much he can do. When is a studying law he comes across Hanna again. I don't want to tell you much more because it might spoil it for you. But since I read the book I knew what was coming. Oh, I should say the the story actually starts off in 1995 when the older Michael (Ray Fiennes) starts to reminisce about Hanna and his past.

The film is well directed by Stephen Daldry and David Hare did a nice job of capturing the book's essence. Although I felt that the book is better than the film (as is almost always the case) The Reader is a quality film. Winslet is a good as she always is. People say that she might get a supporting actress nomination for this role. I think that she is actually lead but she will probably go as lead for Revolutionary Road. She should win an Oscar soon but not in that category because Penelope Cruz should be the winner. So perhaps she will in as lead actress. In any case, she is very good. What can I say about Fiennes? He is just one of the best actors around. You can see all of the pain that he feels when you look into his eyes. I would have liked to see more of him in the film but having read the book I knew that his role would be small. Newcomer Kross was terrific. I look forward to seeing more of him in the future. Also good in small roles were Bruno Ganz as a professor of law and Lena Olin as a Holocasut survivor. I do have a quibble with the filmmakers. There isn't much resemblance between Fiennes and Kross and even the color of their eyes are not the same.

The Reader asks a hard question. I won't tell you what it is but when you see the film (or read the book) you will have to think about it. I am thinking about it right now. And one of the surprises is that Hanna thinks that one of her secrets is so much worse than the other one. But the one that she thinks is lesser is the one that everyone else will care about.

So if you want to see movies that will make you think check out Doubt and The Reader.

Edit: I have since changed my mind - If Kate Winslet wins in supporting actress instead of Penelope Cruz that would be okay with me (although I still think that Winslet is lead in this film). Both were wonderful. I have still to see Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler (that will happen next weekend) but from what I've heard she will probably also be right up there. So may the best woman win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home