Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

DVD Mini Review - What Have I Done to Deserve This

What Have I Done to Deserve This is old Pedro Almodovar film that I never got the chance to see. And it is a very good one at that. No, it is not one of his best. But, so what? Even lesser Almodovar is always good. And this one has all of the wonderful Almodovar trademarks.

Gloria (Carmen Maura) works hard as a cleaning woman. Her taxi driver husband (who has his own issues) doesn't give her enough money to pay the bills. Her two sons are strange - one is a drug dealer. Her mother-in-law is stingy and lives with them. And her best friend Cristal (Veronica Forque) is a prostitute. In fact, Gloria takes uppers to get her through the day.

The script is sharp and the film always held my interest. There is no sense telling you much about the plot. See for yourself. The whole cast is good and Maura and Forque are marvelous. And Almodovar himself is in the film. This film is funny and I laughed out loud several times. But there is also some tragedy in it. It is also quite sexy. Almodovar creates terrific roles for women and this film is no exception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home