Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

DVD Mini Reviews - Contempt, Beaufort, Jellyfish

During the last few days I saw three films in the comfort of my own home. Here are a few words (and I mean a few) on each of them.

First off is Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt. Michel Piccoli stars as a middle aged writer named Paul. He is having mixed feelings about writing a screenplay for the Odyssey. It doesn't help that the director is the difficult Fritz Lang (who plays himself) and that the producer is an obnoxious American named Jeremy (Jack Palance).
Throw into the mix his problems with his younger wife Camille (Brigitte Bardot). The film is an interesting exploration of the filmmaking process (although not as good as 8 1/2 or Day for Night). It also shows how the business can take its toll on relationships. I liked the film but felt that there was an emotional factor missing. Still and all it is a definite must for any real lover of cinema. Bardot in particular is very good and Giorgia Moll's translator Francesca is an interesting (but not very developed) character.

I saw Beaufort on Netflix's instant play. Beaufort, directed by Joseph Cedar, was nominated for a foreign film Oscar earlier this year. Beaufort was a castle in Lebanon. In 1982 Israel invaded Lebanon and occupied the castle. Due to a growing outcry the Israeli's left Lebanon and destroyed the castle in 2000. The films shows the Israelis last days in Lebanon. The soldiers are led by Liraz (Oshri Cohen) who is a by the book guy. This does not always work in the favor of his soldiers. In fact, we see that he really is not all that courageous. A number of incidents prove this. There are some scenes in the film that are truly nail biting. And after the film I felt like I had been through a war. The pacing is deliberately slow so you feel as if you are there. Beaufort is a powerful film that shows us the futility of war and violence.

My favorite film of the three is another Israeli film entitled Jellyfish. The film is directed by novelist Etger Keret and his screenwriter wife Shira Geffen. At the beginning of the film (a scene or two in) we are at a wedding. There are three women in attendance who will be the focus of the film. The bride Keren (Noa Knoller)
sees her honeymoon spoiled. Batiya (Sarah Adler) is a waitress who works for the caterer of the wedding. And Filipina Joy (Ma-nenita De Latorre) is at the wedding as a caregiver of an elderly woman. The lives of these three women are changed and touched during this wonderful film. I won't say how because you should see the film.
All of the acting is terrific. And I was very moved by this film. On the DVD there is an interview with Keret and Geffen said that they will probably make another film.
I certainly hope that they do and I can't wait to see what they will come up with. Edit - by the way, this film won the Camera D'Or at Cannes last year and it certainly deserved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home