Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Elegy

Elegy is Isabel Coixet's moving adaptation of Philip Roth's novel. The screenplay is written by Nicholas Meyer. This is an intelligent adult film that will attract a certain type of audience (and, yes, I am part of that perfect audience - one who is sick of raunchy comedies and super hero movies).

David Kepesh (Ben Kingsley) is a professor and minor celebrity (he even appears on The Charlie Rose Show to promote his books). Ever since his divorce he relishes his independence. He has affairs with his former students but ends them when things get too thick. He has a long standing sexual affair with a student from 20 years ago named Carolyn (Patricia Clarkson). He and his friend George (Dennis Hopper) love to talk about their affairs (but George just happens to be married).

One day something different happens. Kepesh is attracted to a student named Consuela
(Penelope Cruz) but after a while he really falls for her. He becomes obsessed and quite jealous. For reasons I will not tell you they eventually break up. It takes Kepesh some time to get over her but he does. During all the while Kepesh tries to mend his relationship with his son Ken (Peter Sarsgaard) who still resents him for leaving the family.

I won't say more about the plot because I don't want to spoil things. I will say that Coixet is a wonderful and sensitive director (I saw her previous films My Life Without Me and The Secret Life of Words). She deals with people who are in either physical or emotional pain - or both. All of the acting is wonderful. Kingsley owns the film. This is a very raw, emotional role for him and he gives it his all. Cruz once again proves what a fine actress she is. Some of her scenes brought tears to my eyes. There are those who say that she is too old for the role but people can go to college when they are older and she is still a lot younger than Kingsley character. The supporting players - Clarkson, Hopper and Sarsgaard are all wonderful as well. This film reminds you of what a great actor Hopper is and I hope he makes more films of this quality in the future. Also good in a very small role is Deborah Harry as George's wife Amy.

So if you like films with an engrossing plot and real characters do yourself a favor and see Elegy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home