Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Brideshead Revisited

I barely remember the 1981 mini series of Brideshead Revisited and I have never read the book. But after seeing this new film version I definitely want to watch the mini series and read the book. And I intend to do both in the not too distant future.

I liked this version of Brideshead very much and I think that it is too bad that some people are comparing it to the above mentioned mini series and book. It stands on its own. The film is directed by Julian Jarrold (who does a good job) and is well written by Jeremy Brock and Andrew Davies from the novel by Evelyn Waugh.

Charles Ryder (Matthew Goode) seems like a lonely chap. He is an only child and his mother died when he was very young. His father is quite indifferent to him. So when he begins his studies at Oxford it is easy to see why he was so taken in by the flamboyant Sebastian Flyte (Ben Whishaw). He is really in awe when Sebastian takes him to the family home known as Brideshead. Charles and Sebastian become very close but something happens Charles when he meets Sebastian's sister Julia (Hayley Atwell).
But the family is ruled by Julia and Sebastian's devout Catholic mother Lady Marchmain (Emma Thompson). At some point Charles and Sebastian visit Lord Marchmain
(Michael Gambon) and his mistress Cara (Greta Scacchi) in Venice. And that is all I will say about the plot. But I will say that the film, in part, is about religion and how it can control and even ruin your life - and how when people are on the way out they cling to it even though the gave it up during their life.

The scenery is exquisite and the story draws you in. You want to see how it plays out. And all of the acting is very good. So what else do you need in a film? I highly recommend the film to those of you who love good storytelling and are open enough not to make comaparisons to other versions of the story (or do not listen to those who do).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home