Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Transsiberian, My Mexican Shivah and Un Secret

I saw three good films this past weekend and I will say a few words (and I do mean a few because of my lack of time) about each of them.

I saw Brad Anderson's Transsiberian at my local arthouse. It is quite a suspenseful film. At the beginning of the film we see a murder victim in Russia and police inspector Grinko (Ben Kingsley) is on the scene. Fast forward to Beijing and we meet married couple Roy (Woody Harrelson) and Jessie (Emily Mortimer) who have been in China for a church sponsered humanitarian trip. Before they fly home Roy and Jesse will take the train from Beijing to Moscow. All seems well, right? They are soon joined by their new cabin mates Abby (Kate Mara) and Carlos (Eduardo Noreiga). Shortly thereafter things start getting a little strange. That is all I will say about the film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the story kept me on my toes. And all of the acting was very good.

The other two films I saw on MOD (Movies on Demand) which is a good way to see films that are currently playing in theaters - but because there are so many films you want to see out there you can see these films right in your home.

My Mexican Shivah, directed by Alejandro Springall, tells the story of the week following the sudden death of the lively Moishe (Sergio Kleiner). Everyone gathers at his daughter Esther's (Raquel Pankowsky) house for the period of mourning. This includes Moishe's womanizing son Ricardo (David Ostrosky), Ricardo's ultra Orthodox son Nicolas (Emilio Savini) and Esther's free spirited daughter Galia (Sharon Zandel). There are many other colorful characters as well. This mix of characters, an interesting story and wonderful klezmer music (provided by the Klezmatics) make this an enjoyable film watching experience. And, by the way, this film is produced by John Sayles and Maggie Renzi.

Claude Miller's Un Secret is an intense story of a Jewish family during and after World War II. The film is based on Phillipe Grimbert's book (which is a true story).
Young Francois (Valentin Vigourt) is a sensitive child. He doesn't seem to please his father Maxime (Patrick Bruel) who wanted a more athletic child. But his mother Tania (Cecile De France), who is a terrific swimmer, doesn't seem to mind a bit. As Francois (and I wonder why Miller changed his name from Phillipe to Francois) gets older (he is now played by Quentin Dubuis) is suspicious. He knows that there is something that is being kept from him. So he asks Louise (Julie Depardieu), who is his confidante, to tell him the truth about his parents. And that my friends is all I will tell you about this film. All of the acting is wonderful. And this also includes Ludvine Sagnier as Hannah (I will not tell you who she is) and Mathieu Amalric as the grown up Francois. The film is beautifully shot and gives you a real sense of place and time. And, once again, here is a film that gives you just a little taste of how many people's lives were damaged because of The Holocaust. Let us never forget that.