Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Boy A

John Crowley's Boy A is simply one of the best films of 2008. The film is riveting from beginning to end. And it makes us ask some important questions regarding the rehabilitation of former criminals and forgiveness.

Jack Buridge (Andrew Garfield) is released from prison after serving time a heinous crime. His name is different from the one he had before he went to prison. His counselor/father figure Terry (Peter Mullan) is totally committed to helping Jack get his life back on track. Jack starts to work at a delivery company and makes friends with some of the people who work there. He also falls for is co-worker Michelle (Katie Lyons).

There are also flashbacks to the past showing Jack - who was then Eric Wilson (Alfie Owens) - with his friend Philip (Taylor Doherty). That friendship was like poison for Eric, who had a very bad home life.

I really don't want to say much about the plot. The film is based on a book which I think was based on true events. But I want people to be surprised about what happens.

The directing is marvelous. And so is the acting. Garfield is a new talent to watch. His portrayal of Jack is heartbreaking. And what can one say about the brilliant Mullan? He is such an outstanding actor. And his character shows real pain. James Young, who plays Mullan's son Zeb, is also good. And Lyons is terrific as Michelle. It was nice to see them cast an actress who is a little heavier than most actresses (but not most other women) as the love interest.

Boy A is a must see film. It played for at a brief time at only one theater but now that it is on DVD I urge you to rent it. I will warn you that it is a very sad film but that shouldn't stop you from seeing it. It represents life as it really is, which sometimes can be quite bitter.

Note: The accents are at times heavy and the DVD had English subtitles that I put. This way I understood what was being said at all times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home