Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Religulous

I have been a fan of Bill Maher's for a long time. I find him to be a very funny man. He also says what's on his mind even if it is not popular. So I was very anxious to see his new film Religulous and it doesn't disappoint. Directed by Larry Charles (Borat) the film takes on most of the world's religions. But Maher generally focuses on the most extreme aspects and people of the religions. Various types of Christianity are taken on as well as Orthodox Judaism, Islam and even Scientology.

I myself do not follow religion. I am a Jew but my affiliation is cultural and historical. In an interview Charles said that he is steeped in Judaism but he doesn't believe in the Bible. I pretty much feel that way - I do not believe that the Bible was written by God but instead by men. But I also think that people should follow their religion if that is what they believe in and it helps them. However, it should be a private matter and never mixed with politics. I do believe that there some force out there but I don't really know what it is and it goes beyond organized religion.

Anyway, Religulous is a funny film even if you don't completely agree with Maher. The theater was packed so there are quite a lot of people who like him and agree with him. I won't get into all of the details because I think that people should see this film for themselves. Perhaps some of what Maher says will make sense to them. I did not agree with some of his remarks but I do think that what he says gives food for thought. Maher's mother Julie and sister Kathy were interviewed. His mother was Jewish and his father was Catholic. He and his sister were raised Catholic until their father left the Church (when Bill was 13). I guess that his mother didn't follow any religion. Anyway, just go out and see this film. It is always wise to hear diverse opinions on matters like this so you can make up your own mind what is right for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home