Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Young @ Heart

Young @ Heart is director Stephen Walker's wonderful documentary about a group of senior citizens in Northampton, MA who sing in a chorus. The age range is from the 70s to the 90s. But these folks don't sing show tunes or standards. They sing rock and roll and punk songs. And they tour all over the place bringing their special brand of love and inspiration.

Chorus leader Bob Cilman (who is younger at 53) does not pamper these folks. He treats them like he would treat younger people. He is tough and wants them to learn their songs. He has assembled a nifty band to accompany the chorus. Some of the songs they sing are - Should I Stay or Should I Go, Forever Young, Dancing in the Dark, I Want to Be Sedated, I Feel Good and many others.

The main focus of the film are the rehearsals for a show in their home town. They have to learn several new songs. We also get to see them perform some songs at that show as well as a special concert at a local prison. There are many laughs in the film. But there are also tears. Tragedy befalls the group while they are getting ready for their show.

I truly love this film. It made me laugh and cry. I would love to see the chorus perform if they came to my home town. It shows that older people have a lot of life and a lot to give to this world. In this youth obsessed culture we need more movies to show older people in a positive light. I highly recommend this film. So congratulations to the filmmakers and a special congratulations to the Young @ Heart chorus. May you stay forever young!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent weblog here! Also your website
a lot up fast! What host are you using? Can

I get your associate hyperlink for your host? I want my website loaded up as
fast as yours lol

Stop by my blog post: renault cars spain

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home