Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

DVD Mini Review - Heartbeat Detector

Nicolas Klotz has directed a most interesting and complicated film. This is not an easy one. But it is certainly worth the effort.

Mathieu Amalric plays Simon Kessler, a psychologist who works in the human resources department of a large, German owned corporation. Simon has been known to help terminate people and was part of a major reconstructing of the corporation. One day he is asked to investigate the CEO Mathias Just (Michael Lonsdale). Along the way he discovers many unpleasant facts. There are strange letters that are sent and many references to the Nazis. In fact, there are many correlations between the Nazis and the big corporations that run the world. While all this is happening Simon is having a meltdown and Just is coming apart at the seams. I won't tell you any more (except we get to know what a heartbeat detector is). Both Amalric and Lonsdale are terrific in their roles and the film is quite suspenseful.

This film is not for everyone. But for those of you who want a challenge I recommend it to you. I rented the disc from Netflix but I just noticed that I can play it online any time I want to because of my membership. So when I have some extra time (which I don't right now) I might have another look at the film to see if I discover more pieces to the puzzle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home